Starfruit soup is one of many Vietnamese traditional dishes present in the Vietnamese home cooking, especially in the summer. This soup is delicious served as an appetiser, or spooned over rice for a heartier main dish.
Starfruit soup uses fresh, clean ingredients. A variety of different fruits, vegetables and herbs produce a soup of contrasting textures that perfectly balance sweet, sour, salty and spicy flavours.
300g medium sized shrimp
2 x 500ml Allswell Starfruit drink
4 bowls hot chicken broth (less sodium)
80g Tom Yam Paste
4 slices of tamarind skin
2 stalks coriander root
6 pieces peeled shallot
Garnish with coriander leaves
Fish sauce to taste
Serves 5-8 people.
Preparing the shrimp
- Clean the shrimp, cut off all legs, and keep the shell.
- Blanched the shrimp in boiling water, until just cooked.
- Wash and slice the starfruit.
- Wash and cut tomatoes into wedges, remove all seeds.
- Slice the onion finely.
- Heat the chicken broth in the stock pot.
- Add in the starfruit, coriander roots, onion and Tom Yam paste.
- Bring the soup to a rolling boil.
- Add Allswell Starfruit drink and tomato wedges.
- Lower heat and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Transfer the shrimp into the soup, when ready to serve.
- Season to taste with fish sauce.
- Serve and garnish with coriander leaves.